The Bloodfire Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Bloodfire Brotherhood

The Bloodfire Brotherhood on the Rack a Society within The Pirates of the Burning Sea

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Birth of the ‘Black Swan’

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Aiyana
Scurvy Dawgs
Scurvy Dawgs

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Birth of the ‘Black Swan’ Empty
PostSubject: Birth of the ‘Black Swan’   Birth of the ‘Black Swan’ Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 12:28 pm

March 1716, the English Channel, onboard the English merchantmen ‘Golden Swan

“Sail, ahoy!” The cry from the lookout shattered the morning calm.
Captain Alexander Holt stepped from his cabin scanning the horizon. “Where she bear!”

“Two points off the starboard beam, Captain!” came the reply from above.

“Here’s your spyglass father.” Holt turned to see his daughter standing behind him with his spyglass in hand, a gift from his late wife. “Thank you Aiyana.” taking the object and staring though it to find the unknown ship.

A few hours later

“Captain, that ship is still closing. She hasn’t shown her colors either sir.”

Holt continued to stare at the ship now 800 yards off, “I can see that Mister Leighton. Run up the colors and have the men stand by the cannons” “Yes sir!” The first mate turned, and started barking orders at the crew below.

Turning back to Holt, “Captain, I think I recognize the lines of that ship. It looks like the Crimson Drake; she was a privateer out of Brighton.”

Holt looked at his first officer, “Under the King’s letter?”

“Yes sir, Jerome Stallings was her captain. He left the Royal Navy to captain his own ship, bought by his family I might add. But he still served the Crown.”

The snap of the Union Jack and the noise of men readying the guns on the deck filled the void of silence between the two men. Holt glanced to the right as his daughter stepped beside him, “Dad, I have a bad feeling about this. It doesn’t seem…”

“Captain! Their opening the gun ports and running up a crossed bones!” Holt spun on his heels shouting orders, “Hard to port! Run out the cannons!” The deafening roar of cannon fire was cut by a piercing scream.

After the attack

“Mis’er Leighton, Capt’n Holt is dead, ‘bones says Aiyana will live, but she’ll lose ’er eye. He said the splinters did too much ‘arm. We are trying to rig up a new mains’il now.”

“Very well, Quist. That was fine shooting by your men, must have been a powder store you hit. Surprising it didn’t blow that swine apart completely.” replied the newly promoted captain, as he tied a new bandage around his leg. “Make best speed for home. Our wounded won’t survive a trip to India and we’ll need a month at least to make full repairs.”

“Aye sir, and thank ye fer the complement.”

Three months later, Admiralty, London

“It is the finding of this court that, Captain Stallings was acting in accordance with his understanding of his Letter of Marque, in his actions on the date in question. As the ‘Golden Swan’ failed to display……”

“I told you lass, his family would protect him.” James Leighton whispered into the ear of his best friend’s daughter. “They probably made several ‘promises’ to insure their family name wasn’t tarnished to badly.”

“…the court does however sanction Captain Stallings the prize earnings of his last voyage, for displaying an improper flag of standing. We dismiss all charges of piracy leveled…..”

“This is outrageous!” jumping to her feet caused her to sway slightly as she was still adjusting to her injury. “Because this fool of a ‘Captain’ is from a ‘noble’ family, he is getting away with murder?” Aiyana yelled at the bench of officers.

“Young lady, there are proper procedures to be followed in….”

“Hang the procedures and this court. If this is how you ‘men of honor’ are going to treat the memory of a man that served the Crown all his life, then God help the English ships that cross my path in the future!”

“Miss Holt, I understand you are upset but if you do not remain silent I shall order you removed from this court.”

“That sir you no longer have to worry about!” she turned and stormed out of the room.

Later that night

“We’ve cleared the markers Captain, and we’re closing on the Drake’s anchorage.” Leighton informed the new commander of the ‘Golden Swan.’

“Very well, have the guns run out as quietly as you can. Double shot and aim low.” "Aye, aye"

The men of the schooner slowly pulled the cannons through the ports as it slipped down the row of anchored ships. Aiyana Holt stood on the forecastle and watched carefully until she could clearly tell that they were lined up with the ‘Crimson Drake.’ Then shouted with all the hate she could muster, “Fire!”

The three cannons of the schooner roared as they threw six cannonballs at the waterline of the ‘Crimson Drake.’ Which started to lean towards it’s wounded side almost immediately.

“Bet that ship sits on the bottom by morning Captain.”

“Nice shooting Mister Leighton. That should make the repair bill for Stallings increase quite a bit. To bad it wasn’t at sea so he could travel to the bottom with it.”

Stepping towards the ladder below decks she continued, “Set the normal watches, once we reach the coast set course for Tortuga, I’m sure we can find something there to show the ‘Admiralty’ that they should not have thrown away the service of the Holts. Also, have the carpenter bring his sketch book to my cabin. I have an idea for a new name for our ship, one fitting our new purpose. I want him to carve a new plaque.”

April 1720, Marsh Harbour

"Captain, one of the new crewmen found this posted in the Nassau Tavern."

Aiyana Holt glanced up from her meal to look at the item held in front of her. "A wanted poster? What's it say?"

James Leighton flipped the paper around and read out loud, " By order of the Admiralty. A price of 12000 pounds is hereby place upon the head of one Aiyana Holt, known to sail in the areas of the Caribbean. Current ship type is unknown, she has been seen in several stolen vessels all bearing the name 'Black Swan' Any person, of good standing, bringing proof of her demise to the governor of any English port shall be rewarded. Signed Frist Sea Lord Jerome Stallings."

The night air of Marsh Harbour echoed with the sound of laughter as the crew of the 'Black Swan' continued their evenings entertainment.

(( Hope you like this, had to change my 'backstory' a little as it wasn't working well with my character's last name. Comments welcome, be honest. But be polite. ))

Last edited by Aiyana on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:21 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lily La Salle
Pirate
Pirate
Lily La Salle

Number of posts : 36

PostSubject: Re: Birth of the ‘Black Swan’   Birth of the ‘Black Swan’ Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 3:01 pm

I love it Aiyana!
Back to top Go down
Owl
Pirate Lord "Boss Mon"
Pirate Lord
Owl

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2008-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Birth of the ‘Black Swan’   Birth of the ‘Black Swan’ Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 3:32 pm

To be honest?

Loved every word 'o it, oh and if i do find the chance i would like to collect that bounty hehe...
Back to top Go down
Aiyana
Scurvy Dawgs
Scurvy Dawgs

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: Birth of the ‘Black Swan’   Birth of the ‘Black Swan’ Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 4:46 am

It says "persons of good standing" Captain. I would bet that the British dislike you as much as they dislike me.

(( And if you notice the edits increasing, I habitually reread stuff and fix mistakes that I see ))

Last edited by Aiyana on Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Black Sword
Pirate Lord "Boss Mon"
Pirate Lord
The Black Sword

Number of posts : 83

PostSubject: Aplause   Birth of the ‘Black Swan’ Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 6:11 am

Aye well done!
Back to top Go down
Owl
Pirate Lord "Boss Mon"
Pirate Lord
Owl

Number of posts : 210

PostSubject: Re: Birth of the ‘Black Swan’   Birth of the ‘Black Swan’ Icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 8:02 am

Aiyana wrote:
I would bet that the British dislike you as much as they dislike me.

I can only imagine, but fear that you are right indeed!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Birth of the ‘Black Swan’   Birth of the ‘Black Swan’ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Birth of the ‘Black Swan’
Page 1 of 1